Friday, November 04, 2005

The invite avalanche of Doostang.com

An amusing thing is happening around Doostang.com, a new entry in the online social networking space.

Setup recently by two guys, Mareza Larizadeh and Pavel Krapivin, the site has an invite only policy and seems to set itself the goal of being the best place to find or fill a job vacancy.

Now here's the thing: they make it so easy to invite the contacts you have from Linkedin, Plaxo, etc that within a few minutes on the site you can send out thousands of invitations.

Yesterday (I think they must have hit a tipping point in the last 48 hrs) I got about 50 invites coming through and so I thought it must be worth a look.

I had a peek, thought it looked professional and pretty low maintenance so I decided to invite my contacts on LinkedIn (3000+). I chose to do this as LinkedIn has become as much about jobs as it is about social networking nowadays so I thought it could be of interest to many of my contacts.

If you take a look at many of the LinkedIn Yahoo! groups at the moment there are a few complaints from people and the word "spam" is mentioned pretty frequently. Imagine if you're connected to 500+ people on Linkedin and they all decide, as I did, to share Doostang.com with their connections.

Some of the complaints are about multiple invites which I guess could be due to some Plaxo users have multiple email addresses, or someone inviting all their Plaxo and LinkedIn contacts at the same time.

I think the guys are having some fun holding the site together as it must be growing at a phenominal rate. There's a buzz in the recruiting world about this site. Maureen Sharib's recent blog gives you a bit more background on this. Or keep an eye on Doostang's own blog.

I know many of the people I invited have said they're experiencing problems logging in, etc.

I guess it'll settle down after a few days and then we can see if the site is actually worth being a member.

David Regler
Maine Associates Ltd

Technorati Tags - , , ,

17 Comments:

At 5:23 am, Blogger Mandar Thosar said...

I need login for doostang.com. Will you please send me an invite?
Thank you :))

 
At 6:29 pm, Blogger Debra Q said...

May I please have an invitation to Doostang?

debquist@optonline.net

Thanks

 
At 10:55 pm, Blogger Robin said...

Can you please invite me to Doostang.com Thank You


Rfillion@koppengroup.com

 
At 5:41 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello,

Can you please send me an invite as well?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew
mhryniew@gmail.com

 
At 10:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I please have an invitation to Doostang? ptr_joo@yahoo.com

Thank you :
Peter from Hungary

 
At 9:46 pm, Blogger mike said...

please invite me to doostang

mjtuaz@yahoo.com

 
At 7:07 am, Blogger ~ Life is Beautiful ~ said...

Hi... can you please invite me to Doostang.
Your help will be greatly appreciated....
Thanks a lot !!!

 
At 7:09 am, Blogger ~ Life is Beautiful ~ said...

Can i please get an invitation....??
My email ID is techietrojan@gmail.com
Thnx !!

Thanx!

- Raj

 
At 1:13 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey,
May I please have an invite to Doostang?
Thanks :D
redgravity88@gmail.com

 
At 11:05 am, Blogger Stefanaccio said...

Would link an invite if possible. Grazie.

ulissi@hotmail.com

Casale
http://villacasale.net

 
At 3:19 am, Blogger No Name said...

could I have an invite to doostang?

thank you!

hbudds@gmail.com

 
At 5:17 am, Blogger Unknown said...

May I have an invite to doostang please?

email is : rhan1@pride.hofstra.edu

Thank you

 
At 8:58 am, Blogger carlbro said...

please send me an invitation to Doostang on my email carlbro@kahovka.net

 
At 5:59 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I was trying to registrate on Doostang but unfortunatelly I didn|t manage to. Could you please send me an invitation to anita.nekrasova@gmail.com
Thanks in advance!

 
At 8:52 am, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:54 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Could I also have an invitation to "Doostang" please?
Thank you in adavance
directiveway@yahoo.com

 
At 5:38 pm, Blogger Sriny.Rukman said...

hi ,David Regler
Can u please Invite me to doostang.com
may mail id : sriny@smashonemedia.com

thank u in advance

 

Post a Comment

<< Home